Sunday 5 February 2012

Fun in the snow

The day got off to a great start with the 41 Waxwings I found yesterday still present and calling like mad as I went out a filled the bird feeders. Several Fieldfares and Redwing were flying around. Late morning I headed down to the Deben, noting the continued presence of about 100+ Fieldfare and Redwing along Through Duncans. On reaching the Deben I was greeted with what looked like pack ice flowing past on the falling tide, a bit surreal looking especially as Teal and Little Grebes floated along with it. The waders were feeding high up on the mud even though the tide was well down and seemed oblivious to my presence. A Robin feeding in the seaweed was another strange sight. Walking from Kyson Point to Martlesham Creek good numbers of Dunlin, Teal and Wigeon were all noted and a Snipe called overhead as it searched for some open water. At the lagoon end of the creek the Spotted Redshank showed well but did not photograph well in the terrible light.

Spotted Redshank


Martlesham Creek


At the sluice gates a Water Rail dashed in to the reeds and a Rock Pipit searched for food close to the path.Highlight however was 2 male Bearded Tits that showed very well only a few feet away, problem was my camera battery was dead so I had to resort to using my mobile.


Bearded Tits - Phonescoped and phonescope video.



On the walk home I found ever increasing numbers of thrushes and best of all was a pair of Mistle Thrushes feeding on some Rowan berries. The Waxwings had also returned to their tree, a great end to a nice snowy day in the field.

No comments:

Post a Comment