Monday 10 October 2011

Sunday 9th October - Thats more like it.

Some overnight rain and it felt a bit rare when I reached the caravan park. The high pitched whistle of Redwings and the distinct call of Song Thrushes was coming from every bush and a Dartford Warbler called from scrub near the car park. My first Bramblings of the year passed overhead with Siskins and Redpoll. A lond bird flew in front of me and landed in the edge of a hawthorn, it turned out to be a Pied Flycatcher and showed well if briefly before heading to the group of bigger trees at the centre of the caravan park. I reached the clifftop and began seawatching, over the next few hours I recorded the following, a probable Cory's Shearwater, Balearic Shearwater, Manx Shearwater, 3900+ Brent Geese, 3 Pale-bellied Brents, c520 Gannets, 11 Arctic Skua, 1 Pomarine Skua, 9 Bonxies,10 Red-throated Divers, 3 Red-breasted Mergansers, a 2 Short-eared Owls in off. Several Skylarks were also seen to come in off. One thing I found interesting is that although Landguard Bird Observatory recorded high (9000+) Brent Geese, they only logged 50+ Gannets, I assume these birds are coming in close in shore between Thorpeness and Felixstowe. After a good seawatch I walked around the allotments finding a very vocal Yellow-browed Warbler, I assume it is a diffrent bird to Fridays.

No comments:

Post a Comment